I would like to start by congratulating the Vision 22 team on the success of the project so far. I believe I speak for most Josephians when I say we are most proud of what Vision 22 will bring to the school and future SJC students. With Phase 1 of the project now almost complete, we look forward to supporting future phases with the same enthusiasm. I’m sure we will need all the support we can garner from every old boy. There will be a series of fund-raising activities down the road and I sincerely hope all old boys will donate generously.
If the success of the recently held SJC G&W Swimathon is any indication of future success, I believe we are on the right track. My heartfelt thanks to the School Management, Bro. Jeffrey, Principal Wong, Ms. Cecilia Ho (SJPS), Mr. Perrick Ching, the SJC Foundation and the event organizing committee for an event well run. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all swimmers, volunteers, teachers and parents who contributed to this event. Finally, I would like to thank all donors and sponsors for their generosity towards the school. The event would not have been the success it was without the help of any one of you.
I have been involved with the SJCOBA ex-com for 12 years with the last 4 as President. It has been an absolute honour. These last four years have indeed been challenging, with social unrest as well as a worldwide pandemic disrupting every facet of daily life. Us Josephians are, however, renowned for our resilience, resourcefulness, adaptability and our willingness to face and overcome challenges. It is in our DNA, and eloquently described in our school rally – “Forward nor Flinch nor Fear”. I believe we have all come out of these tribulations stronger and I am as ever, proud to call myself a Josephian.
Our Professional Chapters have always been a pioneering establishment in Hong Kong and we have now complemented them with various Interest Groups.
|Professional Chapters||Interest Groups (WhatsApp)|
|Finance Chapter||Bowling Interest Group|
|Legal Chapter||Car Interest Group|
|Real Estate Chapter||Epicureans Group|
|Entrepreneur and Startup Chapter||Golf Interest Group|
|Medical Chapter||Healthcare Interest Group|
|Advertising, Marketing & Entertainment Chapter||Horse Racing Interest Group|
|Run-Hike-Swim Interest Group|
|Tennis Interest Group|
|Watch Interest Group|
These interest groups have been very well received and many are over-subscribed. We have seen an increase in membership activities as well as many new faces as a result. The OBA is always open to starting new interest groups should there be enough “interest” and we welcome suggestions from any old boy, anytime. I reiterate that the main objective of SJCOBA is to foster and facilitate the networking of old boys and I sincerely hope more will join in.
With effect from July 1, 2021, Bro. Dennis Magbanua from the Philippines has taken up the position of the Director of St. Joseph’s College, Hong Kong. He is now the legal head of our School Sponsoring Body and has taken up quarters at 7 Kennedy Road. Both Bro. Dennis and Bro. Jeffrey have been invited to several of our events in 2021 and I should be grateful if all old boys would take the time and opportunity to get to know the Brothers and make them feel at home at 7 KR.
Looking ahead, I can see that while the main focus of the SJCOBA will be old boy functions and gatherings, we will be prepared to work closely with the school and the SJC Foundation should our assistance be required. The Vision 22 project will no doubt require as much support as possible and I would like us to be ready and prepared when the school calls upon our help.
The SJCOBA understands that we must move with the times in order to stay in contact with the younger generations. I’m happy to report that the SJCOBA now communicates with all Josephians regularly through Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SJCOBA/), Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/sjcoba/), our website (www.sjcoba.net), our email system as well as various WhatsApp groups. The website is currently being revamped and old boys can apply to join our membership with online payment (https://sjcoba.net/membership/). We will also bring back the online “Tuck Shop” for souvenirs in the near future.
As I step down from my post as President, I am positive that SJCOBA will continue to flourish under the capable hands of the new President. I am grateful to everyone of you for your support over the last four years and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. My Presidency would not have been successful without you and I hope you extend the same kindness and enthusiasm to my successor.
I Wish everyone a safe and healthy 2022.
Kenneth Wong (Class of 1985)
Nov 25, 2021
Oba activities update (past and planned) of entire 2021 (updated as of Nov 21, 2021):-
- Financial chapter – Investment outlook 2021 webinar (30+ participants)
- Webinar: “The Brave New World – Asia Economy: Recovery or Recession?” – Christiaan Tuntono ’92 (Senior Economist, APAC, Allianz Global Investors) and Daniel Lam ’93 (WM Senior Cross-Asset Strategist, Standard Chartered), Jan 7, 2021
- SJCOBA YouTube Channel with over 20 videos produced to highlight old boys, teachers, principals, Green & White Wall and Vision 22 etc. (https://www.youtube.com/c/SJCOBA-HK)
- OBA ex-com election
- OBA issued mask donation appealing letter to all SJC parents on behalf of the SJC Foundation
- Setup Bowling / Golf / Tennis / Car / Epicureans Interest WhatsApp groups for old boys
- Old Boys Tennis Interest group gathering
- Oba overseas study webinar 1: Toronto, Canada (75+ participants)
- Financial chapter: Osborn Lee presented SJCOBA Research Foundation
- Football: Feast Day of St. Joseph Soccer Game! Mar 19, 2021 (Fri) 8:00pm Happy Valley, Court 8, Astro-turf, 7-a-side.
- Racing Syndicate Meeting: Mar 31, 2021, gathering for old boys from 1963 to 2000 with the common interest in horse.
- Tennis Interest Group: Convenor Simon Li (2004) with Tennis Games on Mar 4, Mar 11, Mar 12, Mar 24 and May 30, 2021 with around 4-6 old boys joined per game day.
- E&S chapter webinar with Anthony Lam & 🍷 event, Apr 1, 2021
- Financial Chapter:
- Webinar: “Is it still worth to pursue CFA nowadays?” – David Ching ’03 and Anthony Tran ’92, Apr 8, 2021
- Webinar with Eric Hui (CEO of Zurich HK)(86 Matric), Apr 21, 2021
- Golf: SJCOBA’s First Golf Happy Hour at SCAA Golfzon on Apr 26 (Mon)!
- Football: SJCOBA Soccer Friendly Game! Apr 4, 2021 (Sun) 4:30pm. Happy Valley Recreation Ground – New type Natural Turf + Astro-turf – Min (Court 7)
- Car Interest Group: Morning Drive, Apr 5, 2021, 7:30am
- SJCOBA Wine-pairing dinner at Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club on Apr 16.
- Formation of Healthcare Interest Group and Runners/Hikers Group on WhatsApp
- Overseas study webinar 2: introduction of Austria 🇦🇹 universities by Ms. Monica Ng (Representative of Austria 🇦🇹 Trade Commission)
- Financial chapter: Global Economical Forum 2021 (target late May)
- Golf: Date:* 26 May 2021 (Wed)*
- Tee Times: 0806, 0815, 0824 and 0833
- Green Fee: HK$1365 inclusive of HK$400 coupon for pro-shop or canteen
- Venue: 滘西洲 東場 – Hong Kong Jockey Club Sai Kung Kai Sai Chau East Course
- Car Interest Group: Fast and Furious 9 Private Viewing on May 29, 2021, 2:30pm
- First official event of the SJCOBA Epicurean Group
- ‘Nihonshu Oendan’ (日本酒応援団) Sake Tasting Event 🍶
- Hosted by Sake Som Billy Au ’10 On May 22, 2021 (Saturday), 3-5 pm at Heya Sake Bar
- Tennis Interest Group: Convenor Simon Li (2004) with Tennis Games on May 5 and May 13, 2021 with around 4-6 old boys joined per game day.
- Recruitment of mentors for SJCOBA mentorship programme which will be held in summer
- Organise Alumni Manager Election
- SJCOBA Epicurean Group Burgundy Night
- June 3, 2021 (Thurs) at 7 pm, Zhejiang Heen (courtesy of Anthony Che ’82), BYOB Burgundy White or Red to share
- Car Interest Group: Ferrari Showroom Visit Jun 10, 2021, 12:00pm
- Football: SJCOBA Euro 2020 Match Viewing and Gathering at HaHa Bar, Jun 13, 2021, 8pm to 12 midnight
- Finance Chapter: 10th Annual SJCOBA Global Economic Forum.
- Zoom, Jun 16, 2021, 6:30pm – 8pm.
- 5 Mega Trends by 2030, for HK and the World
- Mr. Kenny Lam (’91), CEO, Two Sigma Asia Pacific
- Finance Chapter: 10th Annual SJCOBA Global Economic Forum II
- Zoom, Jun 23, 2021, 6:30pm – 8pm.
- 5 Myths of Digital and Blockchain
- Mr. Sean Hung (’08), Managing Partner, Chiron Partners
- Tennis Interest Group: Convenor Simon Li (2004) with Tennis Games on Jun 10 and Jun 17, 2021 with around 4-6 old boys joined per game day.
- SJCOBA: Annual OBA mentorship programme with SJC S5 students 2021
- Tennis Interest Group: Convenor Simon Li (2004) with Tennis Games on Jul 8 and Jul 22, 2021 with around 4-6 old boys joined per game day.
- Car Interest Group: Morning Drive, Aug 1, 2021, 7:30am, HK Stadium to Beas River Jockey Club / Breakfast, Over 20 old boys and friends joined.
- Finance Chapter: 10th Annual SJCOBA Global Economic Forum III
- Zoom, Aug 3, 2021, 6:30pm – 8pm.
- Anti-Trust in Hong Kong
- Mr. Rasul Butt (’84), CEO, The Competition Commission (Commission), Hong Kong
- Golf: SJCOBA’s 2nd Golf Happy Hour at Hong Thai Golf Centre, 2/F Admiralty Centre, on Aug 7, 2021 (Sat), 4pm – 6pm
- SJCOBA Excom Drink: FCC (The Foreign Correspondents’ Club, Hong Kong), Aug 30, 2021, 6pm – 10pm. Sponsored by Senior Old Boys, Mr. Eddie Chan (1968) and Mr. Wilfred Kwan (1980). Guests: Br. Jeffrey, Br. Dennis, Br. Paolo, Mr. Perrick Ching, Mr. T.M. Kwok. Around 50 Old Boys and guests joined.
- Tennis Interest Group: Convenor Simon Li (2004) with Tennis Games on Aug 5 and Aug 26, 2021 with around 4-6 old boys joined per game day.
- Finance Chapter: “Back to school” school-tie lunch Sep 1, 2021, 12:30pm-2:00pm at Shanghai Fraternity Association, Central.
- Ching Sir Retirement Dinner:
- RHKYC (Royal HK Yatch Club), Sep 24, 2021, 6:30pm – 10pm.
- Organized by SJCOBA, Over 140 Old Boys, Teachers and Guests joined the event.
- Mini-showcase for Vision 22: SJC Old Hall, Sep 26, 2021. Update on Vision 22, Site Visit Tour by Mr. Ching and Unveil of Green and White Wall Design and Mockup (donation wall).
- Tennis Interest Group: Convenor Simon Li (2004) with Tennis Games on Sep 2 and Sep 9, 2021 with around 4-6 old boys joined per game day.
- Car Interest Group: 007 No Time To Die Movie Private Viewing on Oct 1, 2021, 2:30pm, at ACX Cinema, North Point, HK with 27 old boys, families and friends joining.
- Car Interest Group: Rolls Royce Showroom Private Viewing on Oct 2, 2021, 2:30pm, at Wanchai RR showroom. Organized and arranged by Mr. Joseph Lau (1987), with more than 20 old boys, families and friends joining.
- SJCOBA Epicurean Group: Special dinner at Hop Sze Restaurant (Michelin Star restaurant), Sai Wan Ho, HK on Oct 7, 2021, 7pm – 10pm. BOYB, overbooked with 14 old boys joined.
- Formation of SJCOBA Watch Interest Group: Convenor, Mr. Winston Lam (1987), on Oct 10, 2021
- ‘Healthcare and Impact Investing’ – a joint professional group Happy Hour: FCC (The Foreign Correspondents’ Club, Hong Kong), Oct 12, 2021, 6pm – 10pm. SJCOBA 1st ever joint interested group / chapter, co-convened by Mr. Daniel Jim (1986) and Mr. Samuel Mak (1984). Around 50 old boys and friends will be joining.
- SJCOBA Happy Hour: Organized by Mr. Roberto Rocha (1977) at Ha Ha Bar and Restaurant (Run by Hinson Leung (2004) 5 Mercury Street, Tin Hau, Hong Kong), Oct 28, 2021, 4pm – 10pm. Around 50 old boys will be joining.
- Design and development of the 1st ever Green and White Wall: To appeal, honor and drive donation, the Green and White Wall for donors is designed in a collaborative manner among a team of old boys and school management. Peter Yao (1979) being the lead designer, Tony Wong (1993) in the 3D actualization and materials selection, Mr. T.M. Kwok (1998 and school VP) being the liaison with the main contractor and architect as well as input from Principal Wong Y.F.. Convened by Jason Yau (1992), mockup samples by Kenneth Wong (1985). The wall is located outside the wall of Innovation Hub on the 1/F of 7 Kennedy Rd.
- Formation of F&B / Catering Industry specific Group, SJCOBA 飲食界 – Carl Leung
- Formation of SJCOBA 傾佛偈 – Carl Leung
- Formation of SJCOBA 娛樂圈 – Carl Leung
- SJCOBA E&S Chapter will organize a lunch on Oct 27, 2021 at Lingnan club to discuss GBA opportunities (sold out)
- Tentative CIG SMD, HK Island Route – Nov 7, 2021 – Winston Lam
- SJCOBA E&S Chapter – Nov 15, 2021, Central, HH. Invited Clarence Ling (Founder of Ztore, SJPS alum) to share in person.
- SJCOBA Epicureans Group HH at Whisky & Words – Nov 18, 2021, 5-8pm, Max. Capacity 40 pax
- SJCOBA AGM and ex-com election at SJC New Hall – Nov 26, 2021, 7pm
- SJCOBA Epicureans Group Hairy Crab Dinner at Zhejiang Heen with very special yellow wines (紹興黃酒) from Gu Yue Long Shan (古越龍山) – Dec 2, 2021, 7pm, Max. Capacity 36pax – Convenor David Koo and Winston Lam
- SJCOBA Epicureans Group Wine Dinner at China Club with Puchang Wines – Dec 9, 2021, 7pm, Max. Capacity 36pax – Convenor Winston Lam and Angus Chan
- SJCOBA Pre-Xmas HH – Dec 13, 2021, 5pm, Caiochow, LKF, Max. Capacity 80pax.